Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Little Perspective


Looking at wedding photos yesterday while I was working on my blog entry, I got seriously depressed. What has happened to me?!?!? The picture above is me in my glory days- 4 months after we were married and I was at my all time low weight- 118 lbs. Ah, to be that thin again... Long gone are the days when I didn't have massive red stretch marks all over my belly, thighs, and who even wants to know where else. Gone are the days when I had the freedom to exercise like a maniac for 3 hours a day burning 2500 calories (yes, I was that psycho but it felt good). Heck, gone are the days I have even a relaxing few minutes to enjoy taking a shower. I'm packing around a good 15 extra pounds these days and only yesterday fit into a pair of non maternity jeans. For some reason I've got serious hormonal imbalances and my face is covered in hideous, painful zits. It's finally starting to get a little better but c'mon, I'm 24 years old already. I'm ready to move past the acne.

As I was wallowing in self pity, I realized that these unpleasant changes and sacrifices I've made were for a great cause. What have I gained in all this? I have two beautiful, precious, and perfect daughters to show for it. They are everything to me. I may not be in shape and thin anymore (I'm definitely going to try to get there again) but for now, my time is focused on my sweet babies. They really do bring so much joy into my life. Being a young mom with young kids is so hard but so rewarding. Some day I'll have time again to do some of the things I once did before I became a mom.

5 comments:

The Robinson Bunch said...

I totally feel your self pity. I too used to work out and then enjoy a nice hot soothing shower afterwards and some relaxing time. yes gone are the days of showers, working out, dates with our hubbys, hanging with friends and lets face it freedom, but one day we will look back on all of this and be sad, that gone are the days of the sweet smell of a newborn, first words, adorable outfits the glow of pregnancy (you looked beautiful pregnant!) and we will be sad for that, our babies grow so fast and some day we will be so sad that all those sweet things are gone. so hang in there and know that 15lbs. heavier (i would like to know where? because i dont see it! :) )or not you look fantastic!

Mandy Burnett said...

Jenny,
I feel the same a lot ofthe time, and it is a stuggle. I am just glad that most of the time we remember that we are doing the right thing and the rest of the world has got it wrong.
your gfamily is beatiful and I hope we get to see all of yu soon!

Erica said...

Jenny, you look amazing, if only I could be as motivated as you are to work out. I am working on it, but it does get hard with 2 kids, especially when they are sick. I loved you Valentine's day post, your family is so cute, I hope you are doing well. We need to have a play date again soon!

Shannon said...

You always look amazing, whether you want to believe me or not! Everyone would agree with me! I'm sure you look that much better with two cute daughters around you all the time! I wish I could meet them.

Mandy Burnett said...

Hey I just want to say thanks for the music idea that is really cool.
Amanda