Friday, January 23, 2009

Current Obsession: Exercise

When January of every year rolls around, I become a little obsessive about exercise. All of the food from the holidays has made its way through my mouth to my lovehandles (first place I gain), then to my thighs, and my gut. Why can't I EVER gain weight in my chest? I'd gladly eat a couple slices of pie or some homemade cookies for that. But no, weight gain is non existent there for me unless I'm pregnant. But I'm not about to go there again anytime soon. Oh and by the way, it's the first place I lose weight. Seriously, how depressing is that? Ok enough with the boob talk. I figure only females read my blog so I'm safe :) Well, I got off on a little tangent there. Anyways, I'm really enjoying my workout routine this time around. Here's what I've got going:

1. I try to do 45-60 minutes on the treadmill alternating between walking fast on an incline and running. I've been trying to take it easy with the running since I'm walking a very thin line there. Erik says I need surgery again on my foot and I'm in denial about that. Even though it hurts when I run too much. It's definitely holding me back and is very frustrating and depressing for me because I absolutely love to run.

2. I've also been doing Winsor Pilates, which I highly recommend. Each DVD is only 20 minutes and they go by really quickly. I seriously notice results really fast when I start these workouts. I alternated every other day with the Bun and Thigh workout and Abs. It doesn't really get me sweating at all but it really tones and strengthens those areas.
3. I've been doing Kathy Smith's kickboxing workout since high school. It's a really good workout and a lot of fun. I'm definitely sweating when I finish.


4. Since I liked the 30 Day Shred so much, I decided to buy the Biggest Loser's Cardio Max dvd. What I love about it is that its a really intense workout that keeps you working hard the whole time. There are three different cardio workouts each done by one of the trainers plus a warm up and cool down. It's also customizeable. You can do just workout 1, or 1 and 2, or 2 and 3, or 1 and 3.


5. I've been incorporating strength training into my daily workout more seriously than I ever have before. One of the things I'm doing is Jillian Michael's 30 day shred dvd. It has three different levels with level one being the easiest. But it's not so easy at first. Each workout has 3 six minute series of 3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, and 1 minute abs. I've been doing it for the last 2 weeks and I've been sore the entire time. Really sore actually. Today was the first day I tried level 2 and let me tell you it was a super intense 2o minute workout that left me sweating like a pig. I love that I can get a kick butt workout in 20 minutes. Since doing this my muscles have exploded! I was actually really not excited about this at first because I'm a little obsessed about the number on the scale going down. It was actually going up at first, even with eating super healthy and reducing my portions. But, I'm glad I have stuck with it because I feel so good! I seriously feel so much stronger.
I'm wishing I would have taken some before pictures. I've almost been doing this for 3 weeks straight and although I've only lost 2 pounds I've noticed a HUGE change in my body. My love handles have shrunk considerably and I'm a lot stronger and more toned. I'm still frustrated my weight hasn't dropped much but I'm hoping that changes soon if I keep sticking with it.
Oh and one last thing. Is it just me or does anyone else whose had kids think it's a bunch of crock that you can completely get rid of and tighten that post baby pooch? It's much smaller but still very much there! Those movie starts have to be getting all sorts of plastic surgery. That's all I've got to say about that.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Ya know I always have made it sort of a standard for me to get below certain weights before getting pregnant because I don't want to keep climbing up the scale but also because of that extra pooch and stretched out skin...oh..and stretch marks. This time, however, I am so doubting myself. Will i ever be skinny again like JENNY??????

Christine said...

I can't say for sure about after baby #3, but after #2, IT IS POSSIBLE!!! although, I will admit that I have good genetics. i have no stretch marks at all (even with 6 weeks to go with #3), and not a ton of extra skin. You can do it! (go to a spinning class - ha ha)